Well here we are. A week into December and headed right into 2017. This blog has gone through so many phases, but it’s nice to be able to look back and see how things have changed. 2016 was a really big year for business, and I am so excited to see what 2017 will surprise me with. This year was so amazing….being a part of an amazing studio in Georgetown (#ccmstreetdc), being published in various magazines, visiting my beloved NYC and attending The Martha Stewart Party and The Knot Gala, and of course photographing the absolute sweetest couples I could have asked for.
There was so much to be thankful for.
This was also the year I realized something needed to change. As life gets busier with two kids, a photography business, and a husband who doesn’t have a consistent schedule…it became near impossible to just set into a routine. I am someone who thrives on routine, and this year had me really craving structure…and a clean house! :) (I am just accepting the fact that this last one may not happen until the kids are older). After too many incidents of the husband and I accidentally double booking our schedules (literally calling my mom to beg her to watch the kids with just hours notice), I realized that something had to give. There have always been seasons of busy…a few weeks here… a month or two there…but this year was just…busy! The whole year. And although that is a wonderful, incredible, first world problem to have, it certainly is no way to live a life. So I’ve been doing a lot of thinking on what needs to change for 2017, to have a little bit more breathing room. Just the thought of breathing room sounds amazing. If anyone has any suggestions on how they keep organized, I would love to hear them!
Other than creating more breathing room, here are some other completely random things going on over here lately!
- I finally bit the bullet and purchased The Simplified Planner by Emily Ley. I literally agonized over this purchase for weeks (not normal). I am such a paper and pen girl when it comes to my daily to-do lists, however I live and die by my iphone calendar. Because of this, I wasn’t (and still am not) completely sure how much real use I would get out of a daily planner. I looked at so many different planners, more and less expensive, and it seemed they either had not enough things or more than I needed. I have finally raised the white flag and accepted the fact that my old ways of keeping our lives, business and home organized simply don’t work for our family anymore. The Simplified Planner seemed like the perfect fit, so I’m excited to give this a try. I even copied my sister-in-law (queen of organizational skills!) and have hung up a monthly calendar in our pantry as well to help keep our schedules synced. The geeky side of me is super excited for 2017 so I can start giving The Simplified Planner a try. Nothing makes me happier than a blank notebook. Nothing.
- Dave Ramsey! I don’t think I’ve ever mentioned Dave Ramsey on here before, but he is such an integral part of our home life. If you haven’t read his book, The Total Money Makeover, you really should read it asap. It is so informational, inspiring and written in a very easy format to follow. I promise it is so valuable, whether you are in great financial shape or struggling. We have been following his program (and using his cash envelope system) since 2013 and haven’t looked back, and I am proud to say it has made a world of difference to our future! I truly believe it is the most important gift you could give to a bride + groom.
- Maddox’s 1st birthday is coming up, and I just can’t believe it. I never shared his labor story, but I was re-reading it earlier today and even one year later, I still can’t help but get really emotional every time I read it. What.A.Night.
- I am a podcast junkie. Some of my favorites include The Jillian Michaels Show, The Dave Ramsey Show, Young House Love has a Podcast, PaleoOMG Uncensored to name a few. I need suggestions for new ones, but they have to be lighthearted enough to play in the background while I’m working. I purposefully haven’t listened to Serial or This American Life because I worry it will completely trap me in and I won’t be able to concentrate!
- I have some exciting things coming up on the business side of things for next year! Some new office assistants, a trip to Kennybunkport, Maine (for a destination wedding!) and some workshops I will be attending to further my education. Traveling is such a passion of mine, and I just get so excited when I look at the calendar and see trips in my future!
- I miss blogging. I am hoping this year to find a way to re-introduce it more regularly and consistently. I am in a constant debate on how much of my personal life to share. None at all? What is too little or too much? I’m still searching for that answer and balance.
Well, that is it. Just some random thoughts on a Tuesday. I hope you all are enjoying the holiday season with all the wonderful festivities that come along with it!
(Image from Martha Stewart Weddings online on How to Set a Thanksgiving Table That’s Both Classic and Modern.
Design | A Trendy Wedding
Florals | Holly Chapple Flowers
Calligraphy | Just Write Studios Calligraphy & Design
Photography | Astrid Photography